Illinois Doctor Of Midwifery Programs
Professional Doctor of Midwifery Programs are designed to develop leadership skills for mid-career midwives. Students typically spend a significant portion of their program engaged in research where they actively address a real issue or question in the field of midwifery or womens health. Their goal is often to advance clinical practice, education, policy or administration through the application or the results of current research.
Applicants may need to have earned a graduate degree or higher and have graduated from an accredited midwifery program. Aside from these requirements, midwifery students may need to furnish a writing sample, letters, statement, national certification or registration in midwifery. Graduate level statistics is often necessary.
University Of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Womens Health Nurse Practitioner MSN comes from the College of Nursing and prepares degree candidates to become Certified Nurse Practitioners. These on-campus womens Health NP programs require the completion of 46 total credit units, of which fourteen credit units of clinical hours. UC Anschutz Medicals best WHNP programs are typically completed in two to three years but must be completed in five years. It is noted that UCs womens health nurse practitioner programs allow for more than half of didactic courses are offered online.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is the medical campus of the University of Colorado. The UC Anschutz Medical in Aurora is home to six health sciences institutions of higher education. UCs health science campus serves more than 3,900 students. A portion of the UC Anschutz Medical campus is situated on what once was the Fitzsimmons Army Medical Center.
Degree: MSN Womens Health Nurse PractitionerFormat: Campus
Accreditation Standards For Womens Health Nurse Practitioner Degree Programs
Attending both an accredited university and an accredited WHNP program is one of the most important things you can do. Aside from making it possible for you to easily transfer credits and hold licensure, this step also ensures you can find work after graduating.
When considering nursing-specific accreditation, there are two names you need to know. Both the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing are considered reputable in the field and are names to look for. The CCNE currently accredits bachelors and masters programs while the ACEN accredits nursing degrees at every academic level.
If you cant easily find accreditation information on a schools website, the U.S. Department of Education provides the searchable Database of Postsecondary Institutions and Programs.
Also Check: Best Nursing Program In Massachusetts
Nursing Msn Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
Build on your valuable nursing experience and play a central role in health promotion and disease prevention for women. Well suited for BSN graduates, our online Master of Science in Nursing, Womens Health Nurse Practitioner program invites you to dive deeply into the unique issues women face, including the cultural and socioeconomic factors that influence health. Youll acquire the skills needed to provide effective, equitable health care, including gynecologic, family planning, STD diagnosis and treatment, and primary care for women throughout their lifetime, from puberty through menopause. Youll also discover how to utilize health care policies and health indicators to advocate and lead improvements for women on a local, state, national, and global level.
This program includes service-learning projects where students gain hands-on experience delivering care to underserved women and those in unique cultural and socioeconomic settings in rural, urban, or international locations. Keisers WHNP program helps prepare students for careers in OBGYN, labor and delivery, sexual assault response, or leadership roles within womens health care.
MSN Womens Health Nurse Practitioner students must attend three 3-day on-site residencies including a GYN skills training.
Contact Keiser Universitys College of Nursing today to learn more about our Master of Science in Nursing, Womens Health Nurse Practitioner program.
Program Information: Online Family Nurse Practitioner Programs In Illinois
Saint Francis Medical Center College of Nursing offers multiple part-time online programs for family nurse practitioners. The MSN program is a four-year program that educates students about disease management, health promotion, and health education. The BSN to DNP program is a six-year program designed for nurse practitioners with undergraduate nursing degrees who wish to obtain a doctorate in nursing. And the post-graduate certificate program is a four-year program for NPs with a masters degree in nursing.
All programs combine didactic coursework and hands-on experience. Students must go to campus once a semester during the practicum courses, which are typically held in the last two years of the programs. Each of the programs prepares students for the proper certification exams.
Coursework in the post-graduate certificate program includes topics such as epidemiology, family health care management, and both advanced pathophysiology and advanced pharmacotherapeutics across the lifespan. Please note that this program is not currently open to residents of Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, or Wisconsin.
Designed for working professionals, Chamberlains MSN program is offered 100 percent online with no mandatory login times or group work. For students wishing to attend full-time, the program can be completed in as few as eight semesters.
Also Check: Vanderbilt Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program
Q: What Do You See For The Future Of Womens Health
Surveillance for breast health, for example. Now digital mammography is the standard of care. In the past, when it was first introduced, you had to specifically say, digital mammography. It gives the opportunity for the films to be stored on computers, and the images can be lightened or darkened or rotated, decreasing multiple mammogram exposures on many occasions. Now were also able to target recommendations that even include MRI in screening of high-risk populations. With genetic testing, theres lots of focus now on prevention and screening. If a family member is diagnosed with, for example, breast, colon or ovarian cancer, we can start to do more genetic testing, and get a better handle on risk for other family members.
What Do You Learn In A Whnp Program
In terms of course content and learning outcomes, remember that every WHNP program will look a little different. That being said, many should have overlapping courses and topics that are common across the board. Examples may include advanced womens health practicum, advanced physiology and pathophysiology, and advanced reproductive dynamics. Below we look at some of the learning outcomes you should expect when enrolling in these programs.
- Learning Outcome #1: An advanced understanding of how your work fits within the field of obstetrics, gynecology, and the larger world of womens health.
- Learning Outcome #2: The ability to conduct physical examinations and medical interviews of female-identifying individuals and an awareness of the ethical, regulatory, and diversity requirements needed in this field.
- Learning Outcome #3: A comprehensive education in the various diseases, ailments, and illnesses specific to womens health and an understanding of how to treat them with professionalism and sensitivity.
- Learning Outcome #4: The ability to support women and their health throughout the lifespan and a commitment to staying attuned to new studies and best practices.
- Learning Outcome #5: An understanding of how issues of child abuse and domestic violence can affect female patients, how to identify warning signs, and what the role of a womens health professional is in these situations.
You May Like: Chamberlain University College Of Nursing Las Vegas
Rn Salaries In Illinois
Nurses who have completed a RN to BSN program are commonly sought out by prospective employers and offered a wider range of career choices. Both hospitals and non-hospitals positions in Illinois for nurses with BSNs include:
- RN educators for faculty, academic advising, and clinical preceptors
- Labor and delivery, intensive care, and OBGYN
- Intervention catheter labs, emergency department, and PACU
The complexity of care for an increasingly older population requires advanced training for effective nursing care. The nurses in Illinois earn an average salary of $66,730 annually.
California State University Fullerton
California State University, Fullertons School of Nursing offers a Womens Health Care MSN. The online womens health nurse practitioner programs offered by Cal State Fullertons School of Nursing have received accreditation from the CCNE the commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. This accreditation confirms that Cal State Fullerton is recognized among the best online WHNP programs available. Some required coursework for the WHNP degree can be taken as online womens health NP programs.
California State University, Fullerton, was established in 1957 as a public institution of higher education. Cal State Fullerton is officially recognized as a school serving students with Hispanic heritage. Cal State Fullertons urban campus covers more than 225 acres and is home to nearly 40,000 students. California State University, Fullerton is the largest member school in the California State University system.
Degree: MSN Womens Health CareFormat: Campus
Read Also: Nursing Schools In Chesapeake Va
What Is A Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner
A women’s health nurse practitioner provides comprehensive care to girls and women across their lifespans. These professionals provide adolescent healthcare to teenagers, pap smears and breast exams to adult women, and prenatal care to women who want to become or are pregnant.
After many years of education and training, WHNPs work in private clinics and public hospitals. They differ from certified nurse midwives, who have a narrower focus on pregnancy and delivering infants.
Our separate guide on the women’s health nurse practitioner field provides more general information about the career path. This page focuses on how to become a women’s health nurse practitioner, taking you step by step through the educational and licensing process.
Interview With A Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
Below, BestNursingDegree.com interviews certified nurse-midwife and nurse practitioner, Sue Woodson, CNM, MSN. Sue works with Charlottesville Gynecology Specialists. In 2006, she completed specialized training to become a certified colposcopist. Her areas of expertise include womens, adolescent and reproductive health, among others.
Below she talks about her experiences in womens health nursing.
You May Like: Schools With Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Programs
What Are The Admissions And Certification Requirements
Students can generally expect the following admissions requirements from a WHNP program:
- Minimum of a BSN from an accredited college or university
- Official transcripts of all previous college work
- One or more professional recommendations outlining clinical experience and ability
- Valid RN license
- Personal statement or essay
- GPA of 3.0 or higher may be required
Certification as a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner can be obtained via examination by the National Certification Corporation. Eligibility requirements include:
- Current U.S. RN license
- Graduate of an accredited women’s health nurse practitioner program
- Must take the exam within 8 years of program graduation
- Official transcripts and diploma must be submitted
Q: Any Other Recommendations For Aspiring Womens Health Professionals
I think the challenge that I heard from many of the high school students who I taught was that they were intimidated by the cost of education. If cost is a factor for you, start out small. For example, start out at a community college, decide if thats the career path you want to take, and then you can go to a four-year college by transferring. Or if college is out of the picture for you, try to become a CNA. Then once you get a job, many employers will pay for you to finish school, or go to school. Dont be intimidated by the cost.
Don’t Miss: Frontier School Of Midwifery And Family Nursing
University Of Cincinnatis Msn Womens Health Nurse Practitioner Program
The University of Cincinnatis Womens Health Nurse Practitioner program is ideal for registered nurses seeking an advanced degree in womens health. The program prepares nurses to become primary care providers for female patients, promoting wellness and disease prevention throughout a womans life.
UCs program is one of the top Womens Health Nurse Practitioner Programs online, and is nationally recognized for our academic standards, diversity and inclusion efforts, technology application, and research activity.
The Master of Science in Nursing Womens Health Nurse Practitioner online program is designed for working nurses with busy schedules, and our online MSN program enables you to pursue your professional goals on your own time.
The University of Cincinnatis online WHNP program helps students gain insight into the unique needs and challenges of working with women of all ages. Our courses focus on promoting the importance of the client-provider relationship and empowering women to make informed decisions regarding their health and well-being.
- Eligible to sit for the National Certification Corp. certification exam.
- Taught by doctorally prepared faculty who are practicing nurses and are up-to-date clinically.
- Three start dates a year.
- You must already have a BSN to enroll in the program.
- Requires 49 credit hours and 672 hours of clinics.
Accreditations and Rankings
What Is The Difference Between A Certified Nurse Midwife And A Women’s Health Np
Certified nurse midwives and women’s health NPs are both advanced practice nurses, with at least a master’s degree and board certification in their field. However, nurse midwives and WHNPs have very different professional focuses. Nurse midwives specialize in pregnancy and delivery and are licensed to oversee births. Women’s health nurse practitioners cover all aspects of women’s health with the exception of pregnancy and delivery.
You May Like: How To Become A Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Choosing A Nurse Practitioner Program
It is an absolute must to select a program that is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or the Accreditation Commission on Education in Nursing while deciding on a program in the state of Illinois.
MSN program length is two to three years at full time status. Some programs offer the option to complete as part-time status. DNP program length averages two years for MSN-DNP and approximately four years for BSN-DNP.
Rush University College Of Nursing
Nursing students may be eligible to complete all or a portion of their clinical site requirements at a clinical site near their home. If not, there are a number of clinical sites in the Chicago area that faculty will assist in setting up for the student. The Rush University College of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education .
Programs Offered: MSN , Post-Masters certificates are offered for all ten NP tracks, Doctor of Nursing Practice , Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
You May Like: Online Nursing Programs In Maryland
What Are The Different Types Of Whnp Programs
As you begin your WHNP research, you will soon notice that several different program structures and degree levels exist. Understanding the differences among each of these will help you make an informed decision about which one best supports your intended next steps.
- MSN Programs: An MSN best supports registered nurses who already possess a BSN and want to earn graduate-level credentials. These degrees can be found both online and in-person and typically require two years of study. Many also make it easy for working nurses to fit in schoolwork without sacrificing income.
- RN to MSN: Students who pursue RN-to-MSN bridge programs usually have either a diploma or associate degree in nursing. Because they lack a bachelors degree, these programs take longer than an MSN and students usually spend 30-36 months enrolled from start to finish. Programs can also be found online and on campus.
- DNP Programs: Designed for advanced practice registered nurses who already possess an MSN, these degrees take between one to two years to complete. They prepare graduates for clinical, leadership, and academic roles at the highest levels of the profession and can be done traditionally or through distance learning.
- RN to DNP Programs: RN-to-DNP programs support both associate and bachelors degree holders, but completion time varies among the two types. Those with an associate degree usually need four or five years to graduate while BSN holders usually can shave a year off this timeline.
Top Ranked Illinois Online Np Programs
Many registered nurses decide to advance their education and training through a nurse practitioner program at some point in their careers. If you live in Illinois and have been thinking about becoming an NP, there are many convenient and high-quality online program options. We have ranked the best online nurse practitioner programs in Illinois for precisely this reason. Peruse our top picks below, and be sure to check out our methodology page to see who we narrowed down our list.
Don’t Miss: Second Degree Nursing Programs Nj
Approved States For Online Learning
Kent State University is authorized to offer the Womens Health NP program in the following states:*
* In order to be compliant with federal and state laws related to online education and consumer protection, as well as State professional licensure/certification regulations, Kent State University may not be able to offer online programs to students residing in certain states. In addition, some state laws may impose limitations that could affect a program of study, including inability to offer clinical practicum courses. Since these regulations undergo continuous updates non-Ohio residents interested in pursuing any College of Nursing online program are advised to consult with their State licensing/certification agency and official Kent State information on state authorization before applying to this program any student that is planning to move or practice in a different state after having been admitted to either the RN BSN, MSN, Certificate, or DNP programs must immediately inform the Office of Student Services at 330-672-7911 to determine whether or not he/she can continue in the program.
Available Womens Health Specializations
Womens Health as a field is extremely diverse and includes many important components. As you move into your Womens Health NP degree program, you may find that there are many options for you to choose from in terms of specialization and focus.
Women are faced with many diverse health challenges throughout their lifetime, including their movement into childbearing age, maternal care, and aging care. Take a look as some of the specializations for this field below.
- Adolescent Care
If you want to provide a concentrated service to women within your community, you may choose a specialization in order to provide the best care to women within certain stages of life.
Don’t Miss: Concordia University Nurse Practitioner Program