The Shortage Of Mental Health Providers
The need for mental health services is rising, but the country has a critical shortage of providers.
By 2025, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration estimates that the U.S. will lack the following numbers of mental health professionals:
- Psychiatrists: 15,400
The career outlook is bright for the psychiatric nurse practitioner role. PMHNPs will continue to enjoy high employment growth and salaries.
Pmhnp & Prescriptive Authority
Prescriptive authority is regulated by state law. Although all State Boards of Nursing allow certified & licensed PMHNPs to prescribe, states have different rules about the scope of practice.
- In some states, you may have full practice authority .
- In other states, you may need to be supervised by a psychiatrist/physician.
Your prescriptive authority will also depend upon your job title. Currently, there are two types of Psychiatric-Mental Health Advanced Practice Registered Nurses :
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner : Before they will grant you a state license, most State Boards of Nursing will want to see that you have PMHNP certification from the American Nurses Credentialing Center . Once you are licensed as an APRN & certified as a PMHNP, youll be permitted to prescribe under the terms weve outlined above. If youd like more info on a PMHNPs scope of practice, the APNA has a helpful State by State Practice Authority Guide for APRNs, available to APNA members.
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist : Some State Boards will not allow clinical nurse specialists to prescribe. Other State Boards are willing to grant prescriptive practice to PMH-CNSs who have taken graduate courses in pharmacology, pathophysiology, and physical health assessment and have current ANCC certification. If youre interested in the prescriptive authority of CNSs, check out the NCSBNs CNS Independent Prescribing Map.
Suggestions For Being An Effective Preceptor
Preceptorship is a working relationship between an experienced practitioner and a beginner. The preceptor helps to bridge the gap between theory and reality. To be an effective preceptor it is helpful to:
- Review the students goals and objectives
- Orient the student to your clinical site by introducing the staff, touring the facility, and reviewing the policies, procedures and protocols used in your clinical setting
- Initially, allow the student to observe your methods of assessing, diagnosing, and treating
- Provide a one-on-one clinical experience as necessary to fulfill student goals/objectives
- Be a role model share values, philosophies and pearls of wisdom
- Be patient remember how slow students are when they are beginning a new clinical experience
- Allow the student opportunity to assess, diagnose and form a treatment plan BEFORE you provide feedback and suggestions
- Offer frequent feedback as to students progress
- Evaluate the student using the appropriate form and review the evaluation with the student offering constructive criticism and encouragement
A preceptor is an experienced, licensed practitioner who provides supervision during clinical practice and facilitates the application of theory to practice for nursing students.
- Unencumbered license to practice medicine in the state where the preceptorship will take place
- Engaged in an active practice directly affiliated with the rotation
You May Like: What’s An Adn Nurse
Wilkes University By The Numbers
Want to know a little more about what Wilkes University is like? Here are some statistics that could help you get a good idea.
- Wilkes has a relatively even male to female ratio, with 52% of undergraduate students identifying as male.i
- While the majority of undergraduate students attend on campus, 67% of graduate students at Wilkes are enrolled in fully online programs.
- 93% of undergraduate students attend full time. Its the opposite at the graduate level: 83% of graduate students attend part time.
- Wilkes Universitys undergraduate retention rate is 77%.
- The undergraduate graduation rate is 59%.
- The Wilkes University acceptance rate is approximately 82%.
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Employment
PMHNPs have strong employment prospects.
The National Council for Behavioral Health has called for expanding the use of NPs in psychiatry. With a comprehensive education in mental health, PMHNPs can help fill gaps in the psychiatric workforce.
Between 2019 and 2029, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that the employment of NPs will grow by 52%. That figure is 13 times faster than the average rate for all occupations.
The demand is even higher for the psychiatric nurse practitioner role. The HRSA estimates that the supply of PMHNPs will increase by 65% by 2030.
Don’t Miss: Nursing Homes In Southern Pines Nc
Online Rn To Msn Pmhnp Programs & State Licensure
Were tempted to stick this caution in BIG, BOLD WRITING! Before you commit to an Online RN to MSN PMHNP program, check with your State Board of Nursing and the program coordinator about APRN state licensure. State Boards have specific rules and regulations regarding clinical learning experiences for students enrolled in distance education programs. Be sure your degree components will meet licensure requirements in your state.
For example, in its Program FAQ section, East Tennessee State University notes that is unable to accept applications from a number of states due to restrictions imposed on distance education programs by the board of education or board of nursing. Those states include Arizona, California, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New York, Oregon, and Washington.
Youll find info about out-of-state applications in the programs FAQ section or on the universitys State Regulation page. The language can be confusing, so feel free to ask for clarification!
Psychiatric/ Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
At Wilkes, we support and applaud lifelong learning. We are constantly changing, evolving and growing to meet the needs of our online student nurses. We look ahead to the degree programs, experiences and opportunities our students will need to succeed, and that includes complimentary nursing clinical placement services.
Our online nursing programs offer a variety of options for working nurses. Whether you’re looking to advance your current role or broaden your career path and pursue a new specialty, Wilkes has a flexible program for you. Going back to school is a big decision. That’s why we offer the mentoring and faculty member support of skilled nurse educators you need to succeed.
Also Check: Application For Nurse Practitioner Certification
About Wilkes University Nursing
Wilkes Universitys nursing programs are practitioner-based. They aim to help you study real-world solutions you can immediately apply to your current job. The reliable Wilkes online learning system allows you to complete coursework with the flexibility to fit your busy schedule. Wilkes Universitys cohort-based approach helps you learn and collaborate along with fellow students, fully online. Regardless of your program of choice, all students benefit from the Wilkes Nursing Advantage:
- Convenient Our online approach means you can study when and where its most convenient
- Personal Learn from respected, experienced faculty dedicated to your success
- Professional Enhance your knowledge and skills with our cutting-edge curriculum
- Rigorous All Wilkes Nursing programs offer the advanced knowledge, skills, and professional development to help you advance as a health care leader, delivered with the advantages of an online education.
Make A Difference As Apsychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
A 2019 report from the American Psychiatric Nurses Association revealed that the United States could face a shortage of up to 250,000 mental health care practitioners by 2025. With an estimated 46.6 million Americans reporting mental health problems as of 2017 , this shortage amounts to a serious crisis. If youre a nurse, Herzing can help you can become part of the solution.
Our CCNE-accredited* online Master of Science Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program lets you:
- Get on the path to your MSN whether you have a BSN or an associate degree
- Complete 540 hours of clinical experience across the lifespan, plus specific telemedicine training
- Study online from anywhere with our Everywhere Classroom
- Prepare for ANCC certification as a Board Certified Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Next Start: January 10th
Read Also: Master’s Degree Nurse Midwifery
University Of California San Francisco
Tuition: $60,482 per year in-state, $72,727 per year non-resident
While the focus of the psychiatric nurse practitioner program at UCSF is on all demographics, students have the option to complete their residency while focusing on a specific age group. This program is ideal for nurses who want to work exclusively with adults or children.
Webinar: A Guide To Your Online Post
Join Cassandra Godzik, PhD, APRN, PMHNP-BC, CNE, Associate Dean of Graduate Online Nursing Programs, and Senior Admissions Advisor Vanessa Margarit as they explore everything youll need to know about the online Post-Masters NP Certificate program at Regis, including curriculum overview, transfer credit process, clinical placements and more.
*Please note, that we have since added the Adult Gerontology Acute Care specialization to the online Post-Masters Certificate in Nursing program
Masters Programs Guide ranked Regis #16 in 50 Best Online Master of Science in Nursing Programs.
Regis College is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
Designated as a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education by the National League for Nursing 2008-2020
Ranked among the Top 25 Fastest-Growing Colleges by The Business Journals
Read Also: Ways To Pay For Nursing School
Rn To Msn Psychiatric
RN to MSN PMHNP programs are tailor-made for working RNs who have a diploma or an associates degree and want to pursue an MSN or MS to become a Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner . There are also RN to MSN PMHNP programs for RNs with a bachelors degree in a field other than nursing.
In our directory, youll spot:
- Concentration/Track: RN to MSN Nurse Practitioner programs with a concentration or track in the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner specialty. These are the most popular offering, and you can have your pick of on-campus or online programs.
- Family PMHNP: Programs that have titles such as Psychiatric Family Nurse Practitioner or Family Psychiatric Mental Health NP. These titles are a hangover from when the ANCC offered a FPMHNP certification. Nowadays, any Family PMHNP curriculum should prepare you for PMHNP certification. If you have concerns, talk to the program coordinator.
- Dual Concentration: RN to MSN programs that allow you to tackle two NP specialties during graduate school. There are dual focus FNP/PMHNP degrees out there , but they are rare. And many schools will expect you to have a BSN before you can apply.
- Sub-Specialty: RN to MSN PMHNP programs that give you the chance to focus on a particular area of interest .
Nurse Practitioner Student Learning Outcomes
Students in the Nurse Practitioner program at Wilkes University will:
Don’t Miss: Drexel University Nurse Practitioner Program
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Certification
Once you complete your education program, you will have to pass the PMHNP certifying exam, issued by the American Nurses Credentialing Center . According to the ANCC, upon successful completion of the exam, you will be Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner-Board Certified . Once you earn your license, the credential is valid for 5 years.
Psychiatric/mental Health Nurse Practitioner Degree
Another requirement is to obtain a PMHNP degree.
A psychiatric nurse practitioner can hold a masters, doctoral degree or post-graduate certificate. These options give aspiring PMHNPs multiple entry points into the field.
Here are the different degrees that you can pursue, based on your educational background:
You May Like: Loma Linda Nurse Practitioner Program
Online Rn To Msn Program
Program OverviewProgram Specialty: Adult Gerontology – Primary Care Nurse PractitionerDegree Type: RN to MSN Program Structure: Online instruction with limited on-campus visits with clinical hours requirementsWebsite: www.wilkes.edu
Program RequirementsClinical Hours Requirements: 500 hours needed to graduate Number of Credits Required: 50 credits needed to graduateNumber of Campus Visits Required: 1-3
Program OptionsProgram Length: Program can be completed in approximately 3 to 3.5 yearsProgram Start Date: Spring admission onlyNumber of Terms: ~8 to 10 semesters
Requirements and TuitionApplication Requirements: ADN required current RN minimum of 1 year of clinical experienceGPA: Minimum GPA 3.0Tuition: ~$33,700 + feesCost Per Credit Hour: $674 per credit hour
Eligibility Restrictions: Program does not currently admit students from Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, DC, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Washington and Wyoming
Psychiatric/mental Health Nurse Practitioner Salary
Psychiatry is the highest-paying NP specialization.
In the AANPs 2019 National NP Sample Survey, full-time PMHNPs reported a median base salary of $125,000. Their median total annual income was $131,500. That includes base salary, productivity bonuses and incentive payments.
Here is how the median total income of PMHNPs compares with other APRN specializations:
To become a psychiatric nurse practitioner, you will need certain education, experience and credentials.
Also Check: How To Start Nursing School
Master Of Science In Nursing Student Learning Outcomes
Students in the Master of Science in Nursing program at Wilkes University will:
Welcome From The Dean
On behalf of our nursing faculty and staff, welcome to the Wilkes University Passan School of Nursing!
With a more than 40-year history of educating nurses, the Passan School of Nursing offers an extensive array of undergraduate and graduate concentrations. Whether you are beginning your career, looking to change your career or desire an advanced degree, Passan School of Nursing is the place for you. Our school has a strong commitment to the professional practice of nursing. Faculty and staff are dedicated and resourceful providing students with personalized attention.
Don’t Miss: Nurse Practitioner Programs In Washington Dc
Wilkes University Financial Aid
Wilkes University knows how important it is to make your education affordable. They prioritize working with their students to help keep their degree financially feasible. A variety of options may be open to you, depending on your enrollment status, whether youre an undergrad or graduate student, age, financial situation, academics, and other factors.
Most undergraduate students at Wilkes University receive some kind of financial aid, whether thats federal, institutional, or another avenue entirely. Wilkes even offers merit-based scholarships, and a monthly payment plan.
For more information about the options available to you, or for guidance in the financial aid process, visit the reach out to one of the financial aid administrators.
What To Expect From The Wilkes University Online Np Programs
Admission Requirements: Applicants to the nursing programs at Wilkes University must have an unrestricted RN license in their state of residence in approved states. Students must have one year of clinical work experience by the beginning of clinical practicum courses and submit a resume and cover letter and official transcripts. MSN applicants must hold a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. RN to MSN applicants must hold an Associates Degree in Nursing . Post-Masters Certificate applicants must hold a Master of Science in Nursing degree. All degrees held must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. No GRE or GMAT is required.
State Restrictions: While Wilkes University accepts students from several states, applicants outside of Pennsylvania should check with the School of Nursing to make sure they are eligible for the nursing programs. As well students should verify with their state Board of Nursing as to licensure requirements. Wilkes University cannot accept students from the following states at this time: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, and Wyoming.
The FNP certificate program comprises 28 credits plus 584 clinical hours. The AGPCNP certificate program comprises 25 credits plus 500 clinical hours. The PMHNP certificate program comprises 27 credits plus 500 clinical hours.
Recommended Reading: St Thomas University Nurse Practitioner
Whats The Difference Between A Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner And A Psychiatrist
The American Psychiatric Nurse Association provides helpful details about what exactly a PMHNP does, and how the role may differ from a traditional physician role as a psychiatric or psychologist. Although many of the duties of a PMHNP and psychiatrists may be very similar , the primary differences will be in the educational pathway and some of the state limitations that a PMHNP may have.
University Of North Carolina
Tuition: $34,535 for full program in-state tuition $61,124 for full program out-of-state tuition
A part of UNCs Master of Science nursing program, psychiatric-mental health is an advanced practice area that students can focus their studies on. This all-around education will require students to be able to attend in-person practice, something to keep in mind before applying.
You May Like: Galen School Of Nursing St Petersburg Fl
Choosing A School Online For Your Pmhnp Program
When thinking about applying for a school or program online, there are some factors you may wish to consider such as accreditation, your own goals, availability and flexibility, admissions requirements, curriculum and clinical hour experience. Some programs that are online may mirror their on-campus counterparts, so many of these factors may remain the same.
Accreditation For Pmhnp Programs
Accreditation for nursing programs in the United States falls to the recognition of Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education . This organization accredits bachelor and graduate nursing programs across the country. For psychiatricmental health nurse practitioner programs, this is no different. PMHNP programs online may be offered as a masters or doctoral degree and be offered by a nursing school. Be sure to check with your preferred university for more on accreditation.
You May Like: Is Becoming A Nurse Practitioner Difficult