Getting A License In Texas
Texas is part of the Enhanced Nursing Licensure Compact , so becoming an RN in Texas means youre also eligible to work as a nurse in 24 other states.
To become an RN, youll need to:
- Take and pass the NCLEX-RN
- Pass a criminal background check
- Apply to become a nurse in Texas
The NCLEX and application both cost money , but other than that there isnt much more to the application process. Earning your degree is the hard part, so its fitting that the rest isnt so bad!
Employment Outlook And Salary
Nursing is one of the most rewarding, fastest growing, and well-paid occupations. According to the Bureau of Labor Statics the demand for nurses is projected to rise by at least 15% over the next decade.
The salary in each state varies, but the average salary for a BSN is $63,000 $70,000 a year. You can visit Payscale and enter your state for a more accurate income amount.
The following schools list tuition cost per year for in-state residents unless otherwise stated and does not include room and board.
Become Your Best Self Become A Nurse
With the demand for nurses expected to grow, now is the time to answer your calling and pursue your BSN through the University of St. Thomas Second-Degree Accelerated BSN program in Houston. If you have an existing bachelors degree and the desire to do big things, you can earn your nursing degree in as few as 12 months. Our program offers:
- An accelerated path for students with a non-nursing BA/BS.
- Three start dates per year January, May or August.
- Curriculum that combines online and onsite learning.
- Clinical rotations at top healthcare facilities in Houston.
- A degree from an accredited, nonprofit university.
- Seats available now.
Also Check: Fiu Nurse Practitioner Program Cost
University Of St Thomas Accelerated Nursing School Tuition
The best way to think about your Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from the University of St. Thomas Houston is as an investment in your future. But, as with any investment, youll need to do some financial planning as you think about how youll go about paying for nursing school.
Our ABSN program will prepare you for an exciting career in a field where the demand is high, the salary is comfortable and job security has a great outlook. As far as investments go, we think investing in your nursing education is a great move for your future.
With a BSN in hand, many rewarding career options become available to you. Our 12-month Accelerated BSN program offers multiple start dates per year, making it possible to start on your nursing future sooner.
Nurse Salary And Job Outlook
- Texas employs 219,330 nurses making it the second-highest employer for nurses in the nation.
- Nurses in Texas earned an annual mean wage of $76,800 in 2020, just below the national average.
While it isnt the highest paying state for nurses, Texas is handily one of the largest employers for nurses. However, Texas is a relatively affordable state, and the average home price is well below the national average. Money can go much further in Texas than it can in other high-employment states like California or New York.
Texas is also home to large, urban areas and some of the nations most famous hospitals. Nurses can gain valuable experience, and many choose to continue their education and specialize their career to find higher-paying positions.
Also Check: La Canada Nursing Home Tucson Az
Thomas More Nursing Graduates Are Thriving
- Most of our graduates end up working in one of the institutions where they did their clinical experience.
- About half of our graduates pursue advanced degrees within 5 years of graduation, a majority of them within the Tri-State.
- 100% of graduating nursing students passed the NCLEX exam.
- PayScale estimates an average salary for nurses with a BSN at $84K per year, while the salary average for RNs is $66k per year.â¯ A potential of an $18k per year increase in salary is worth the investment.
- You will have increased job opportunities because many hospitals, especially those with magnet status, require a bachelorâs degree in nursing.
Why You Should Care About The Nursing Programs Accreditation
You might not know much about accreditation, but its critical when looking at nursing schools. If a school doesnt have the right accreditation, you wont be eligible to take the NCLEX and become a registered nurse. Also, finding a job could prove to be much more difficult.
The two nursing accreditation organizations to look for are
Don’t Miss: State Farm Malpractice Insurance For Nurses
California State University San Marcos
CSU San Marcos is another top-rated California nursing school, that is taking a slightly different approach to its nursing program by creating cohorts. The university believes this will allow for each nursing student to have a strong support system during and after their college career. A GPA of 2.8 must be maintained to graduate.
- NCLEX-RN Pass Rate 99%
- Accreditations California Board of Registered Nurses, American Association of Colleges, CCNE
- Program length 24 months
Graduation Requirements For Bsn Accelerated Nursing Programs In Houston
Requirements for graduation with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree are that the candidate meets all general requirements for graduation as outlined in the Houston Baptist University Catalog: Satisfactory completion of a minimum of 120 semester hours.
Recommended Reading: Second Degree Bachelor’s Programs For Non Nursing Students
The University Of Texas
- Austin, Texas
The University of Texas offers their accelerated nursing BSN for those with a current bachelors and they also have a convenient online program for those with their RN associated but no BSN that can be done entirely online while the person works as an RN. Flexibility and quality educational opportunities including clinicals, hands-on training, and NCLEX prep mean that graduates move on ready for successful careers. This program is offered at several University of Texas Campuses across the state.
- Austin, Texas
Schools Launching Nursing Programs
Several colleges and universities have launched innovative nursing programs and partnerships to address persistent nursing shortages around the country.
Here are 10 schools and hospitals that have recently launched nursing programs:
Editor’s note: This list is not exhaustive.
1. Beal University in Bangor, Maine, expanded its nursing program to another campus to allow for more graduates.
2. University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif., launched a nursing program open to those without healthcare backgrounds or bachelor’s degrees in any subject.
3. Bryan College in Dayton, Tenn., announced the opening of the Ward School of Nursing.
4. Chaminade University in Honolulu announced an accelerated nursing program set to begin Jan. 10.
5. Amarillo, Texas-based Northwest Texas Healthcare System announced a partnership with West Texas A& M University to offer employees interested in developing their BSN through an online associate to bachelor degree program.
6. The University of Washington School of Nursing announced a new state-funded program set to begin in January partnering with local long-term care facilities.
7. The University of St. Thomas in Saint Paul, Minn., announced the launch of a nursing school focused on health equity.
8. McMinnville, Ore.-based Linfield University announced it is condensing its accelerated Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing program to 12 months. It also established an accelerated master’s degree program.
Also Check: Schools With Accelerated Nursing Programs
The School Of Nursing In The Morrison Family College Of Health
Informed by Catholic social teaching, the University of St. Thomas Morrison Family College of Health educates health providers and leaders to skillfully, compassionately, and collaboratively advance the physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being of individuals, families and communities.
Meet the Director
Absn Prerequisites For University Of St Thomas Houston
While you may meet all of the qualifications to apply to our ABSN program, its likely you may also need to complete prerequisites before you may be eligible to apply for our Second Degree Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
Prerequisite courses provide the framework you need begin your ABSN coursework. These courses will offer the solid foundation youll need to be prepared for anything and everything nursing school will send your way.
You may take these courses through the University of St. Thomas Houston.
|Nursing Specific Prerequisites|
Also Check: Ucla Nurse Practitioner Program Requirements
Top 10 Best Nursing Schools In Texas
As one of the largest states in the nation, its only natural for Texas to be home to dozens of top-rate nursing schools.
To become a nurse in Texas, the best course of action is to earn a nursing degree from a local school. Earning a degree from an accredited Texas school will satisfy any prerequisites youll need to become a registered nurse in the Lone Star State. But not all nursing schools are the same, and youll want to be picking the right school for you.
Annual In-State Tuition: $12,040 | NCLEX Pass Rate: 96.03%
Based in Central Texas, the University of Texas at Austin places an emphasis on helping the local community. This philosophy is ground into their nursing programs and many nurses go on to work in these types of communities. The BSN program is the highlight of the University of Texas at Austins program, and the school admits that entry is highly competitive. Students should definitely apply to this school, but make sure you apply to others in Texas as well.
Annual Tuition: $33,927 | NCLEX Pass Rate: 100%
Annual Tuition: $51,570 | NCLEX Pass Rate: 95.16%
Annual In-state Tuition: $12,340 | NCLEX Pass Rate: 100%
Annual In-state Tuition: $10,700 | NCLEX Pass Rate: 94.38%
How Our Absn Program Works
The University of St. Thomas Accelerated BSN program in Houston gives qualified students the opportunity to complete their nursing education in 12 months. How is that possible?
The UST online-based accelerated BSN program builds upon your existing bachelors degree via our rigorous hybrid curriculum:
- Online courses establish the foundation of your nursing theory knowledge via an interactive e-learning platform.
- Hands-on skills and simulation labs allow you to apply your online coursework and exercise your clinical judgement in mock patient care scenarios using state-of-the-art equipment.
- On-site clinical rotations grant you access to valuable real-world patient care scenarios at some of Houstons top healthcare facilities, with close proximity to the Texas Medical Center.
Our online accelerated nursing program comprises the same nursing education youd receive in a traditional classroom-based program, just on an abbreviated timeline. For that reason, it requires an immense amount of focus and dedication to keep pace.
Upon successful completion of our online ABSN program, youll be well equipped with the nursing knowledge and skills to sit for the NCLEX-RN® licensure exam and practice the profession in a variety of healthcare settings.
Contact us to learn more about ABSN@UST.
Recommended Reading: Galen School Of Nursing St Petersburg Fl
You’re Much More Than A Number At Herzing We Believe That Providing You With A Caring Supportive Community Will Have A Positive Impact On Your Learning Experience We Know Our Students By Name And Are Committed To Your Academic Personal And Professional Success Discover Why Herzing’s Student
* The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Herzing University – Orlando is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education .
**Students who need to complete science prerequisites may require 24 months to complete the program.
Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission – www.hlcommission.org.For more information about Herzing University’s graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, visit info.herzing.edu.
Herzing University admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.
Not all programs are approved in all states.
Herzing Administrative Offices – W140N8917 Lilly Road, Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
Whether youre interested in starting classes or looking for more information, complete the short form below.
Master Of Science In Nursing Admissions Process
- Health or service-related experiences: Include paid or unpaid roles in which you provided care or service.
- For example: health-related work in an employment setting, caring for an ill family member, or providing service for customers or clients.
MSN applicants will write a personal statement, organized by the following prompts:
Priority application deadline:
Final application deadline :
You May Like: Cheapest Nursing Schools In Arizona
What Qualifications Do I Need To Get Into Accelerated Nursing School
In addition to a non-nursing bachelors degree from a regionally accredited institution, you must also have:
- Completed the prerequisites within our specified grade requirements prior to enrollment.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, including a 3.0 GPA for all science courses.
- A minimum score of 80 on the Health Education Systems, Inc. admission assessment exam on all five component tests.
- Completed the interview process.
Month Accelerated Nursing Programs
The Second Degree Accelerated Option Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program is specifically designed as a pathway for students who already possess a bachelors degree in a discipline other than nursing. The 12 month accelerated nursing programs program is designed to build on past educational achievements to earn a BSN degree in four consecutive semesters. This program prepares graduates for state board exams and licensure in nursing. The program follows the curriculum equivalent to UTRGVs BSN Program.
The accelerated 15-month program has classes with face-to-face classroom instruction, campus labs, and in-hospital clinical labs. Instruction will be guided by expert nursing faculty in collaboration with local hospitals.
The UTRGV Second Degree Accelerated Option BSN program is designed to prepare graduates at a high level of competency for beginning practitioners in a culturally diverse health care setting. The program objectives are as follows:
You May Like: Nursing Schools In Scottsdale Az
New Program To Expand Education Opportunities Fill The Dire Need For Nurses In Houston
The University of St. Thomas will help prepare a greater number of nurses for jobs in demand through a new Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing in partnership with Orbis Education.
The program will put students on a fast track by enabling them to leverage their non-nursing bachelors degrees to earn a BSN in as little as 12 months.
UST Partners with Orbis EducationOur goal is to afford more people the opportunity to pursue their calling while filling the urgent need for nurses in our community and throughout the state, said Dr. Poldi Tschirch, dean of the Carol and Odis Peavy School of Nursing at the University of St. Thomas. Our collaboration with Orbis Education, which is nationally known for providing outstanding infrastructure and resource support for nursing programs, will make it possible for us to offer a program that will attract and effectively serve highly qualified second degree students seeking careers in professional nursing.
Second-largest Nursing Shortage Predicted in TexasBy 2030, Texas will have the second-largest nursing shortage in the country behind California, according to the National Center for Health Workforce Analysis. During the next 11 years, the number of unfilled positions will grow to 60,000, based on projections by the Texas Center for Nursing Workforce Studies.
But while the nursing shortage is well-documented, thousands of students are turned away from colleges and universities whose programs are at capacity.
University Of St Thomas Houston Accelerated Bsn Program
If you have a bachelors degree in a non-nursing field and are ready to do big things in a new career caring for others, the University of St. Thomas accelerated nursing program could be your shortest route to becoming a nurse. With a program site in Houston, our accelerated BSN program for non-nurses offers the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree in as few as 12 months.
Our second-degree BSN program, called ABSN@UST, combines online coursework, onsite skills labs and clinical rotations, integrating a rigorous curriculum and laying the groundwork for you to enter the profession a practice-ready nurse. As an ABSN@UST student, you can expect:
- Hands-on experience through skills and simulation labs at our Houston ABSN Site.
- More access to a quality nursing education via three start dates per year.
- Flexibility to complete nursing theory coursework online anywhere, any time.
- Instruction from experienced nursing educators dedicated to your success.
Recommended Reading: Easiest Way To Get A Nursing Degree
Take A Faster Path To A Nursing Career With Herzing’s Orlando Campus
Thinking of starting a new professional career as a nurse? With our BSN-Accelerated Option, you could be part of the next generation of nurses in as little as 20 months!
- 20 month program, pending transfer credit**
- Transfer up to 90 approved credits
- Designed for those who hold a non-nursing bachelor’s degree
Next Start: January 10th
Become A Professional Registered Nurse
The Master of Science in Nursing program is designed for those who hold a baccalaureate degree in a field other than nursing. This accelerated nursing program leverages students previous education and/or career experiences, adding value to preparing them for entry into professional Registered Nurse practice. At the end of the program, students will be prepared to take the NCLEX-RN® examination.
Browse the information below to find information about applying the Master of Science in Nursing program.
Students interested in the undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Nursing program must first apply and be accepted to the University of St. Thomas. Students will submit a secondary application to the School of Nursing after completing their first semester at St. Thomas.
Visit our international admissions page for program-specific information about applying as an international student.
Questions? Contact the School of Social Nursing at .
Recommended Reading: Road To Becoming A Nurse Practitioner