Using This Transfer Advising Guide With The University Of The Incarnate Word
This Transfer Advising Guide represents the University of the Incarnate Word degree plan and is subject to change at the universitys discretion. It is intended for advising purposes only so students know exactly which courses they can take at any of the colleges in the Alamo Colleges District and have the courses count towards degree requirements when they transfer to the University of the Incarnate Word. It is highly recommended that students meet with their assigned advisor to review all graduation and transfer requirements listed in the Transfer Advising Guide.
The ultimate goal is to provide students with accurate information for transfer pathways while minimizing loss of credits in transfer. Students are encouraged to review the University of the Incarnate Words requirements frequently.
Course numbers in italics are the University of the Incarnate Words course numbers.
This Transfer Advising Guide is based upon the University of the Incarnate Words 2018-2019 catalog and is subject to change.
Additional University Of The Incarnate Word Advising Notes
- Make an appointment with the academic advisor of the major, once accepted to the University of the Incarnate Word, in order to clarify department, college and university policies and procedures, to review course sequencing and to help with identifying resources for academic success. A current listing of academic advising centers can be found at .
- Refer to the official source of information on specific courses within the University of the Incarnate Word requirements for this degree plan from the University of the Incarnate Word Undergraduate Catalog.
- Pay close attention to course sequencing and availability at the University of the Incarnate Word as it will affect the time it takes to complete the degree program.
Bachelor Of Science In Nursing
University of the Incarnate Word offers two pathways to complete your Bachelor of Science in Nursing: Traditional BSN and Accelerated BSN. For more information on the Traditional BSN, please see below. For those looking for the accelerated program, please visit the ABSN website for more information. The heart of healthcare is a nurse that is compassionate, an excellent communicator, and focused on the well-being of his/her patients. Let us help you with the preparation that you need to be a stellar nursing professional.
The Traditional BSN track prepares graduates to take the licensure examination to become a Registered Nurse . Nursing courses include clinical experiences in a variety of settings with clients across the lifespan. Our nursing education building includes a state-of-the-art clinical learning center that offers high fidelity simulated learning experiences. UIW graduates are employed around the world in all areas of healthcare including hospitals, community settings, research, education, parish ministries, government agencies and the military services.
Don’t Miss: John A Logan College Nursing Program
Why Ila Faye Miller School Of Nursing And Health Professions
The Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions combines the best possible scientific grounding with unmatched clinical experience across many types of healthcare settings and diverse patient populations.
1.5 million and growingSan Antonios metro population is expected to grow by 50% between 2010 and 2050, topping 2 million residents.
65+The number of San Antonio-area seniors 65 and older is expected to reach half a million people by 2050.
Popularity Of Nursing At Uiw
During the 2019-2020 academic year, University of the Incarnate Word handed out 91 bachelor’s degrees in nursing. Due to this, the school was ranked #663 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is a decrease of 13% over the previous year when 105 degrees were handed out.
In 2020, 8 students received their masterâs degree in nursing from UIW. This makes it the #508 most popular school for nursing masterâs degree candidates in the country.
In addition, 20 students received their doctoral degrees in nursing in 2020, making the school the #129 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.
Recommended Reading: University Of South Dakota Nurse Practitioner Program
Earn Your Bachelor Of Science In Nursing
The University of the Incarnate Word Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions proudly announces an additional track to our BSN program, the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing . The 16-month program is for individuals that have a non-nursing bachelors degree from an accredited institution.
This is a full-time intense nursing program geared for the self-motivated, organized and dedicated student. The rigorous ABSN includes 62 credit hours of online didactic coursework, hands-on learning at our learning site in San Antonio, simulation and clinical experiences in a variety of settings with clients across the lifespan, allowing you to graduate practice-ready in as few as 16 months.
Whether youre a career changer or recent college graduate, our Accelerated BSN track could be your fastest path to a life-changing new career thanks to UIWs three yearly starts.
As a student of the second-degree accelerated nursing track at University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, you can expect to receive:
- A blended curriculum combining online coursework, hands-on labs and clinical rotations.
- A values-based education focused on treating the whole patient mind, body and spirit.
- The academic rigor needed to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination .
For the latest information on UIWs response to COVID-19, visit uiw.edu/cardinal-flight-plan.
Deans Of Ut Health Sa And Uiw Nursing Programs Call Students Compassionate Dedicated
SAN ANTONIO With COVID-19 causing so much burnout and illness in the health care field, the question arose — will fewer students choose to go into nursing? Conversations with the deans of two major nursing schools in San Antonio revealed something both encouraging and inspiring.
Austin Chapa graduated from Churchill High School in 2017, knowing he wanted to be a nurse like his mother.
The pandemic hit in the middle of his studies but seeing employee burnout and illness hasnt scared him away.
It comes down to really making a difference in peoples lives. Its really important. Its really fulfilling, Chapa said.
It turns out there are many compassionate, driven people out there like Chapa.
KSAT checked in with the University of the Incarnate Word and UT Health San Antonio nursing schools to compare applications before and after the pandemic.
UT Health San Antonios applications have more than doubled, from 258 applications in Spring 2020 to 596 in Fall 2021.
UIW is seeing so many applications, and theyve begun enrolling more students.
In January, in the last two weeks, we started a brand new class of 93, and that includes 25 students in our new accelerated program for people who have previous degrees. A year ago, we were probably only admitting 62, said Holly Cassells, the dean of UIW School of Nursing and Health Professions.
Cassells said if she could find enough faculty, shed increase it more.
Also Check: Nurses Service Organization Malpractice Insurance
Uiw Nursing Program Reviews
If you already hold a non-nursing bachelors degree and are planning to go back to school to become a nurse, you probably want to get started as soon as possible. Creating opportunites for success by offering quality academic, technical and life-long learning experiences to its diverse communities in a collaborative, student-centered, data-informed and shared leadership environment. 1995. Thats because we require nursing students to have taken several prerequisite courses prior to enrollment: Each of these courses plays an important role in your
Factors For Admissions Consideration
A primary factor for transfer admissions is the student’s cumulative Grade Point Average . A minimum of a of 2.5 GPA is required for unconditional admission. However, a 2.5 GPA does not guarantee admissions into all UIW programs. Students with a GPA lower than 2.5 may be admitted at the discretion of the Admissions Committee. The Committee reserves the right to place additional conditions or requirements upon the acceptance of such a student.
Additional factors considered for admission may include, but are not limited to: letters of recommendation, personal statements, interview, extracurricular activities, and previous work experience. Applications are accepted throughout the year for all academic terms. The application process should be completed in a timely manner to allow sufficient time for processing.
Don’t Miss: The Ohio State University College Of Nursing
Ut Health San Antonio
The USC BSN degree is divided into two phases. The First Phase is comprised of 62 hours of lower-division work that may be completed at any regionally accredited college or university. Reference the Nursing Equivalency Tables for a listing of the prerequisite coursework. The Second Phase is comprised of 60 hours of upper-division work in the nursing major and is completed at the USC School of Nursing during a student’s junior and senior years. Students fulfill the requirements for the BSN degree by completing both phases.
Practically every crosstown university associated with our detachment has the necessary prerequisite coursework available for aspiring nursing students. Students may complete the first phase at their home campus, then apply to transfer to USC for phase two. Prospective students who have completed a minimum of 42 semester hours of pre-nursing courses requirements may apply for the UTHSC School of Nursing admission. Click on each school below to review its USC equivalency table.
Overall Uiw Acceptance Rate
The overall acceptance rate for University of the Incarnate Word was reported as 93.8% in Fall 2020 with over 6,290 college applications submitted to University of the Incarnate Word. Both in state and out of state applicants are included in these figures. We do not have data on transfer acceptance rates currently.
You May Like: Best Nursing Associations To Join
Important Information Concerning Transcripts:
- All transcripts submitted to NursingCAS and UIW must be official and sent directly from your schools Registrars Office.
- Transcripts stamped Issued to Student will not be accepted.
- Transcripts must show completion of, or proof of enrollment in, prerequisite courses.
- In order to expedite processing, include the NursingCAS Transcript Request Form from their website.
- Transcripts from international institutions must be evaluated by a transcript evaluation service, World Education Services. Foreign evaluations should be mailed to NursingCAS and UIW at the addresses above.
The following is a list of prerequisite courses needed for admission into the Traditional BSN program. Candidates must have completed the course with a grade of C or better or be currently enrolled in the following courses to be considered for admission into the program:
How To Apply To The Traditional Bsn Program
If you have any questions, contact Mrs. Eunice Avila at: or 283-5094
Applicants who have enrolled in a nursing program in the past must disclose it on their application and ask their previous program director or dean to e-mail a letter of good standing to Dr. Kathleen Tilton, BSN Program Chair, at .
Recommended Reading: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Online
The University Of Texas At San Antonio
Students typically major in Biology. The UTSA Health Professions Office provides faculty advisors to assist and mentor future nurses with the UTHSC School of Nursing. The Pre-Nursing Society is a UTSA student organization promoting nursing careers and who host on-campus health field volunteer activities.
Monitor The Status Of Your Application:
Any messages from NursingCAS or the school will be sent to the View My Notifications inbox and your personal email address used to create your account.
Use the Manage My Programs option to check the status of your application including Transcripts, References and Programs Selected. You can access your Program Status page in the Manage My Programs section of NursingCAS when logged into your account at NursingCAS Program Status
Note: Applicants must be accepted to the University by the deadline, so application to the University needs to be completed at least three to four weeks in advance of the deadline.
Recommended Reading: 1 Year Bsn Nursing Programs
Complete The Test Of Essential Academic Skill
The ATI TEAS is the Test of Essential Academic Skills which:
- Evaluates an applicant’s general academic knowledge
- Tests the concepts learned in prerequisite math, science and reading/writing courses
- Individual and composite scores will be considered.
- The Minimum Total Score to apply to our nursing program must be a Proficient Score.
- The ATI TEAS tests the concepts learned in prerequisite math, science and reading/writing courses. Prospective applicants should approach all prerequisite courses with a desire for lifelong learning. Students who study every day throughout the semesters and the breaks will score better on the ATI TEAS than those who memorize material for exams, which frequently means material will be forgotten.
- Assessment Technologies Institute®, LLC offers excellent preparatory options for the ATI TEAS.
- Use the same link to register and schedule to take the ATI TEAS exam.
- ATI TEAS scores from the previous 12 months will be considered for an application cycle.
- The ATI TEAS exam may be taken twice during an application cycle. Scores from both attempts must be submitted. A minimum of three weeks must elapse between the first and second attempt if taken twice.
- The scores on the exam with the highest composite score will be considered. Applicants who posted high scores on their initial attempt will receive priority over those who required two attempts.
Student Loan Default Rate
In 2017 the default rate for borrower’s at University of the Incarnate Word was 6.65%, which represents 151 out of the 2271 total borrowers.
A cohort default rate is the percentage of a school’s borrowers who enter repayment on certain Federal Family Education Loan Program or William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program loans during a particular federal fiscal year , October 1 to September 30, and default or meet other specified conditions prior to the end of the second following fiscal year.
Read Also: Malpractice Insurance For Nurse Anesthetist
The Following Individuals Will Not Be Considered For Admission:
- Applicants who do not complete all the application steps
- Applicants who do not meet the deadlines
- Applicants who do not meet the minimum cumulative or science 2.5 GPA
- Applicants who have not completed and/or have not demonstrated proof of enrollment in the final prerequisite courses
- Applicants who do not score proficient or higher on the ATI TEAS
- Applicants who have been unsuccessful in another nursing program
- Complete the required fields in order to start your application.
- Select UIWs program in the Full Programs List section of the NursingCAS application.
- All course work and letter grades must be entered as part of the application for an overall GPA calculation.
- Applicants are charged $55 for the first school to which they apply and $40 for the second school. Applicants MUST pay the application fee at the time of submission.
Student Debt Of Nursing Graduates With A Bachelor’s Degree
While getting their bachelor’s degree at UIW, nursing students borrow a median amount of $26,751 in student loans. This is higher than the the typical median of $23,387 for all nursing majors across the country.
The typical student loan payment of a bachelor’s degree student from the nursing program at UIW is $278 per month.
Read Also: Registered Nurse Programs In Ohio
Master’s And Doctoral Nursing Programs
Nurses can apply for this hybrid program consisting of on-ground classes alternating with online classes. The Nursing leadership track develops administrative competence in human and financial resource management, and in leading change in complex healthcare environments.
This program is for a practicing registered nurse who has earned a diploma or associate degree looking to earn a Master of Science in Nursing degree.
This program offers nurses with a masters degree in nursing the option to achieve certification in Family Nurse Practitioner or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner .
This degree prepares nurses to improve outcomes through organizational leadership, quality improvement processes and translation of evidence into practice while developing advanced skills as a nurse practitioner.
Two enrollment options:
- BSN to DNP Full-time program for those who have a BSN degree wishing to become a Family Nurse Practitioner or a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
- MSN to DNP Full-time and part-time plans of study are available for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses and nurses with clinically-focused MSN degrees.
Applicable Transfer Credit Hours
This Transfer Advising Guide provides 69 college-level hours, of which 58 will transfer and apply, as EDUC 1300, CHEM 1405, 1 SCH of FL 1411, 1 SCH of FL 1412, 1 SCH of MATH 1442, and 1 SCH of KINE 1338/1304 will transfer but will NOT be applicable towards the University of the Incarnate Word baccalaureate degree in Nursing.
Note: The University of the Incarnate Word does not have a maximum number of college-level transfer hours accepted towards a baccalaureate degree. Students must complete the specified number of advanced credits and credits in residence for their degrees.
Note: For the Alamo Colleges District this transfer advising guide is field of study complete, but is NOT core complete and NOT degree complete.
Also Check: Nurse Practitioner Student Malpractice Insurance