Southwestern Oregon Community College Reviews
- Rating 5 out of 5 Excellent
- Rating 4 out of 5 Very Good
- Rating 3 out of 5 Average
- Rating 2 out of 5 Poor
- Rating 1 out of 5 Terrible
- Niche User
- Graduate Student
- Graduate Student
Program And Course Information
The Nursing Program is located on the Union Avenue Campus. It is convenient to downtown and midtown Memphis.
In addition to high impact practices used in the class, clinical requirements are met using a variety of health care delivery settings.
To find out more about courses offered at Southwest, you can use our Interactive Course Schedule to see when and where a class is being offered.
Enroll In Our Nursing Program And Take The First Step Toward Your New Career
The Southwest Nursing Program is highly individualized and blends classroom instruction with excellent hands-on experience in a variety of health care settings.
One of the most sought after careers is nursing. If you’re interested in becoming a front-line health care professional, this program is for you. Southwest offers lecture and clinical courses leading to an Associate of Applied Science degree in Nursing.
Graduates of this program are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses . Our Nursing Program is designed to prepare graduates for successful licensure and immediate employment in this high demand field.
Southwest offers two program options for this degree:
- The Generic Track .
- The LPN Mobility Track is designed for currently licensed practical nurses seeking to transition into the role of registered nurse .
CONTACT US: During the COVID-19 health crisis, we are working remotely and are able to respond to email much faster.
NLN TESTING: Our Testing department is working with the National League for Nursing to accommodate admissions testing. Please check that webpage to schedule the exam.
Also Check: Schools With Top Nursing Programs
Southwestern College Nursing Program
Last Updated on July 21, 2021 by Toye Odewole
What else do you need to know about southwestern college nursing program? Below is all the information you need to know about southwestern college nursing program.
Collegelearners offers information about southwestern college nursing program reviews and southwestern college nursing program requirements, as well as information about southwestern college nursing program cost, southwestern community college nursing program and southwestern michigan college nursing program.
Whether you are pursuing an educational path that prepares you for transfer to a four-year university, helps you earn a certificate and additional skills for your next career move or youre interested in lifelong learning, Southwestern College has a program for you.
Through our Fields of Study, you can find the academic maps to complete a degree or certificate and through our Career Programs, you can find programs that can prepare you for high-wage, in-demand jobs.Explore Our Fields of Study, Career Programs, and Catalog
End Of Program Outcomes
- Client-centered Care: The graduate will provide compassionate and coordinated care based on respect for diverse clients’ preferences, values, and needs.
- Evidence-based Practice and Informatics: The graduate will use current standards of practice using nursing informatics to support decision-making in nursing care.
- Safety: The graduate will use psychosocial and physiological measures to minimize risk of harm to clients, families, and others in the healthcare environment.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: The graduate will effectively collaborate within the interdisciplinary team to achieve quality patient outcomes.
- Professionalism: The graduate will uphold the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses and perform within the legal scope of practice.
Admission to the nursing program is a separate process from being admitted to the college. It is the students responsibility to understand and meet admissions requirements prior to admission.
You May Like: Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Programs Nc
Bsn Program Applicants With Associate Or Baccalaureate Degrees
Students who transfer to Florida SouthWestern State College with a previous associate of arts degree from a Florida college or baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university are considered to have met the General Education Core and Elective coursework of the degree.
All Coursework above will be evaluated by the College to determine transfer of credits or applicability to the program.
What Youll Learn At Lasc In Nursing
You can get an Associate Degree in Nursing degree at LASC where you will get the educational background and hands-on training youll need to start your career as a Registered Nurse :
- Learn human anatomy and physiology to understand the human body and how it functions properly.
- Gain critical-thinking, logic, and communication skills as you learn how to diagnose medical problems from listening to patients, asking questions, and using your knowledge of diseases and symptoms to assess if the patient needs medical assistance.
- Build practical nursing skills in nursing labs before going onsite to local Los Angeles hospitals and facilities to learn and strengthen your patient care skills.
- Discover best methods and practices to communicate with patients and their families.
- Learn the intricacies of patient care, medical procedures, and how to keep information organized about patients and prioritized by need.
- Once you successfully complete the ADN program, you will be able to take the NCLEX to become a Registered Nurse and begin your career!
- Want to transfer? With your Associate Degree in Nursing degree, you will save money on your first two years of Nursing school at LASC learning from resourceful, dedicated faculty before you transfer to pursue a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing . Visit your academic counselor to fund out more.
Recommended Reading: How To Become A Doctor If You Are A Nurse
Degrees & Courses You Will Take
Review LASCs Associate in Science in Nursing degree, known as an Associate Degree in Nursing , and our required course of study for this program. Go to LASCs current Course Catalog for specific course information, and find out about how to complete the Nursing Application Process to start your path to becoming a nurse:
Major Code: 1203.00
Length Of The Program
The program is an 8.5-unit course: CNA-20 and CNA-20L . Four CNA classes are offered throughout the year: January, March, June and August. The classes offered in January, March and June meet a minimum of three eight-hour days per week for nine weeks. In August, the class will meet a minimum of two days per week, eight hours each day, for the full fall semester for a total of 18-weeks. The CNA class is repeatable only once and attendance to all class meeting days is mandatory.
Reading 56 or higher is recommended preparation for this course.
Please note: If a student fails out of ANY nursing program for unsafe clinical practice or a violation of professional, legal, or unethical conduct, that student may be ineligible for admission to any Southwestern College Nursing or Health Occupation Program.
Play A Critical Role In Peoples Lives Every Day
Prepare a patient for surgery while comforting them and their family beforehand. Take a childs vital signs and talk with their parents to find out why they need to see the doctor to gather information to prepare the doctor for the visit. Conduct research on a specific population within L.A. County that is statistically showing a higher risk for heart disease to present to county officials, begin public service announcements, and alert healthcare workers of these trends.
These scenarios barely start to scratch the surface of the tasks nurses perform every day they go to work. They are healthcares caretakers, the ones who are a crucial link between patient and doctor, and provide those under their care immediate medical attention, compassion, and support.
Nurses are pivotal to our healthcare system, allowing it to run smoothly and efficiently. Nursing has always been in high demand, and as the demand for healthcare services continues to grow, Nursing is now one of the top ten professions in the country, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Find out what you will need to apply to LASCs Nursing Program so you can begin your future nursing career today!
End Of Program Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the BSN Program, the graduate will be able to:
Recommended Reading: Nurse Practitioner Programs In Colorado
Application Documents & Instructions
Before filling out the online application, review the CNA Program checklist to gather all required documents and forms. Click the link below for a copy of the checklist .
Important note: Give yourself and your doctor/healthcare provider ample time to complete the physical exam/immunization forms. Most of the work in applying for the CNA Program involves getting these forms filled out and providing copies of your records.
Update related to CoVid-19 vaccine: As of September 30, 2021, all major Healthcare Systems in San Diego County require students and faculty to be fully vaccinated for CoVid-19. Applicants to any Nursing and Health Occupations programs will be required to submit proof of vaccine status at time of application.
IMPORTANT: You must be logged in with your MySWC Account to apply. If you’re having difficulty, go to to completely logout of all of your G Suite accounts, then try logging in with your MySWC.
Get Ready Before You Start
Want to be a nurse? You can begin preparing for it before your first class starts at LASC:
- Make an appointment with your LASC academic counselor to review LASCs Nursing Program Requirements to review the general education and prerequisites to develop your Student Education Plan , along with how to apply to the program once you are an LASC student. Start to gather your transcripts, and attend an Information Session to find out detailed information on how to apply.
- Still in high school? Talk with your high school counselor about the math, science, and AP courses you can take to start preparing academically. Contact local healthcare centers and hospitals to see if they have any summer volunteering opportunities or internships you can be a part of. If your school has a pre-med club or start your own club. Read blogs about the healthcare industry and take a CPR / First Aid Course.
- Once youre at LASC, make sure to get involved with on-campus clubs and organizations, such as the Future Nurses of America and Toastmasters, or become a student ambassador, or run for student body government. These create new relationships and enhance your resume to show potential employers your commitment to building leadership skills and furthering your healthcare community.
Once you successfully complete this program, you should be able to:
- Pass the National Council Licensure Examination for licensed registered nursing .
- Be prepared for employment as an entry level licensed registered nurse.
Don’t Miss: Dnp Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Salary
Lpn Florida Department Of Education Gold Standard And Statewide Articulation Agreements
This Gold Standard Career Pathways Statewide Articulation Agreement guarantees the minimum award of course credits or a block of credit toward the above AAS/AS program is 10 hours of credit. This agreement does not preclude the awarding of additional credits by any college through local agreements. The Licensed Practical Nurse certification, or National Licensed Practical Nurse certification represents industry acknowledgement of technical skill attainment of competencies in the Nursing R.N. program. To be eligible for articulation, the student must show evidence of their current Licensed Practical Nurse certification, or National Licensed Practical Nurse certification and it must have been issued within three years prior to their enrollment in the program.
If space permits, Florida SouthWestern State College offers LPNs, meeting the application and agreement requirements, the option to accept an ASE1000 block of 11 credits. The ASE1000 block consists of Level I AS Degree Nursing Core Courses: NUR1020C, NUR1068C, and NUR2092.
What To Bring To Teas Exam
The CSPP was originally an adjunct education degree program, but was later renamed the College Nursing and Nursing Program. The CMP was created to provide a series of professional services and educational opportunities for the student. The CNP was first offered in the fall of 1999 as an adjunct education for the University of Northern California School of Law. It was offered throughout the academic year and became an adjunct education in August, 2001. The CTP was offered in Fall 2003 and Fall 2004 as a parttime program. The first two courses are offered to college students through the College Nursing, Nursing and the College Administration Program. The second course is offered to students through the University of Pennsylvania College of Nursing. The third course is offered in summer 2004. The fourth course is offered through the College of the Arts, a graduate program. The fifth course is offered for the first time in 2007. In July 2008, the CSPP moved to the College Nursing Department. This new program is designed for college students to prepare for a career in nursing, and focuses on the overall health and well-being of the campus. In 2003, the CNP was expanded to encompass the College Nursing curriculum.
Don’t Miss: Private Nursing Schools In Illinois
Associate Degree In Nursing
- Admission Procedures
The application period for Fall 2022: November 1, 2021 – February 11, 2022
After completing ADN Program prerequisites and other requirements, you may submit your application packet. A complete application packet includes a physical exam and immunization forms. Students will be accepted based on a Multi-Criteria Points System.
Important: Paper application packets will be accepted for the ADN Program by U.S. Mail only .
- Download the ADN Program Checklist & Application and Physical Exam and Immunization Forms .
- Review the checklist that accompanies the program application for full details on all that is needed to apply.
- The application and physical exam/immunization forms must be filled out to be considered for the program. This is a clinical requirement.
Please note: If a student fails out of ANY Nursing Program for unsafe clinical practice or a violation of professional, legal, or unethical conduct, they may be ineligible for admission to Southwestern College’s Nursing Program.
- Communication 103, 174 or 176
- Child Development 170 or Psych 230
- Psychology 101
Southwestern College Nursing Programs
The nursing school at Southwestern College is a public institution located in Chula Vista, California. Its nursing programs are accredited by ACEN.
Degree types you can earn at Southwestern College include Registered Nursing, and the school provides its offerings to students via campus formats. The level of nursing programs offered to nursing students include Associate Degree level degrees.
For nursing students in California, the state average NCLEX-RN passing rate for ADN programs is 88.72% and for BSN programs is 87.43%. The average national NCLEX-RN passing rate for ADN programs is 85.48% and for BSN programs is 87.22%.
Out of 134 nursing schools in California, the nursing program at Southwestern College ranks #60 in the state, and out of more than 1,700 nursing programs nationally, it ranks #285. It’s 3-year average NCLEX-RN passing rate is 89.60%, giving the Southwestern College an overall grade of B.
Don’t Miss: Eagle Gate College Nursing Tuition
Academic Policy And Progression Criteria
The academic standards in the Nursing program are very rigorous and require full-time commitment.
- A grade of C or higher must be earned in General Education and Program Specific courses.
- The ASN Program uses the following grading system: .
- A grade of “C” or better must be earned in each Nursing/NUR course in order to progress in the program.
- A grade less than “C” in a Nursing/NUR course will require a reattempt.
- A Nursing/NUR course may be repeated or reattempted only once. If a grade of “C” or better is not achieved when the course is repeated or reattempted, dismissal from the program will result.
- If a grade of “C” or better is not achieved or Withdrawal/W grade occurs in two or more Nursing/NUR courses, dismissal from the program will result.
- Dismissal from the Nursing Program will occur if a student is deemed unsafe or unprofessional in clinical practice/patient care.
- The Academic Review Committee will evaluate each student who is unsuccessful in a course or has an interruption in their program sequence. An alternate program plan will be developed by the committee in collaboration with the student.
- Attendance and punctuality is mandatory for all classroom, laboratory, and clinical activities. The third and each subsequent classroom absence and/or partial absence will result in a 5-point deduction from the final course grade. Attendance is required for all laboratory and clinical activities.
Southwestern College Nursing Program Review
Located south of San Diego, Southwestern College was established in 1961 and enrolls over 20,000 each semester. With over 300 associate degree and certificate options, SWC has something to offer for everyone.
Associate Degree Nursing Program
The ADN program at SWC is a four semester course of study. Approximately 60 students are admitted into the program each Fall semester.
Students are admitted into the ADN program using a multi criteria point system. The multi criteria point system gives each candidate a point score based on their academic degrees and diplomas already earned, their GPA in related classes, life experience, skill in languages other than English, and assessment test results. In addition, students must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher in the nursing prerequisite courses of Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology. Students must also have a high school diploma or equivalent, be a Certified Nurse Assistant or equivalent, and demonstrate Math and English reading proficiency.
Graduates of the ADN program are allowed to sit for the state licensing exam . After passing, they will become licensed Registered Nurses .
SWCs ADN program is accredited for the maximum time given by the National League of Nursing Accreditation Commission.
Licensed Vocational Nurse Step Up Program
Vocational Nursing Program
All classes must be taken in sequence, and students must earn a grade of C or higher for each of their nursing requirements.
Perioperative Nursing Program
Recommended Reading: Rhode Island College Accelerated Nursing