It’s Not Just About Moving Up It’s About Moving The Profession Forward
Modern healthcare organizations have adopted team-based, patient-centered models that improve outcomes and reduce costs.
Thats exactly what an advanced nursing degree from Misericordia University can provide from diagnostic testing and disease prevention to customized treatment plans. Study with us, and you can develop the expertise to positively impact the future health and well-being of every patient you serve.
The Value Of An Accelerated Nursing Program
Accelerated nursing programs are worth it if youre dedicated, motivated and have a passion for caring for others. Its a major commitment, but in the end, youll have all the knowledge and skills to become a confident, competent nurse in as few as 16 months. Programs like ours allow you to:
- Accelerate into a new nursing career. Its possible for you to earn your BSN in 16 months through our program because we allow you to build upon your existing college credits from another field of study.
- Start your education sooner. We have a higher enrollment capacity than some other programs because we offer three start dates per year in January, May, and August therefore eliminating some of the wait associated with starting nursing school.
- Learn nursing theory concepts on your own time. Part of our three-part hybrid curriculum involves online courses that you can complete from anywhere at any time .
- Practice your skills in a risk-free environment. Apply theories and concepts learned in online courses in an advanced setting that mimics the clinical environment. Youll get to feel what its like to be a nurse without putting patients in danger.
- Develop your skills at top Pittsburgh heath care facilities. Work side-by-side with a small group of peers and experienced nurses to put what you learn in your online and lab courses to the test.
Misericordia University Sat Requirements
Misericordia Universitys average SAT score is 1045 this is the sum of the math and reading portions of the SAT . Check out the below table for a deeper look into how students performed its also very interesting to look at the average test score over time. The trend over time helps give insight into whether Misericordia University is getting more or less competitive.
Misericordia Universitys average SAT score is 1045. To be a competitive applicant for Misericordia University your SAT score should come close to the average. If youre closer to the 950, youre likely going to have a tougher time getting accepted. To consider Misericordia University a target school you should aim for a score of 1140.
Recommended Reading: West Palm School Of Nursing
Misericordia University Nursing School Review
Misericordia University , founded in 1924, is a small, Roman Catholic college located in Dallas, Pennsylvania. Students who are looking for a small-school feel will find it here: less than 3000 students are enrolled at the college, and the student to faculty ratio is twelve to one. The school specializes in liberal arts, professional studies, and pre-professional studies. The nursing department, which is part of the College of Health Sciences, is one of the schools strongest departments. Prospective nurses, as well as nurses seeking continuing education, have educational options through Misericordia University. All nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Education and approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Traditional Program
Students with no experience or education in the nursing field may enroll in the traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing program. This program takes four years to complete. Students spend the first three semesters focusing solely on general education requirements and background courses, before beginning the first nursing course in the second semester of sophomore year. Throughout the next five semesters, students take more in-depth nursing courses as well as more general education classes. After graduation, students are eligible to take the National Council Licensing Exam for Registered Nurses , and seek work as Registered Nurses .
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Second Degree
Communicate With Instructors And Classmates
Online learning is something I never did before, so it was a learning curve for me, says Misericordia ABSN alumna Dominique C. Im a hands-on person, so first semester I struggled a bit.
However, she says communicating with professors and working with her cohort was especially helpful. Some students may be visual learners, some might be this type of learner and if we all kind of came together, we could just talk it all out. I felt like my tests improved. I felt like I understood the material better than me just sitting there reading a textbook.
You May Like: What Accreditation Do Nursing Schools Need
Requirement : Completion Of A Minimum Of 500 Hours Of Patient Care Experience
All patient care experience must be logged and substantiated using the Misericordia University Department of Physician Assistant Studies DOCUMENTATION of DIRECT PATIENT CARE EXPERIENCE FORM, which may be accessed using the following link: DOCUMENTATION of DIRECT PATIENT CARE FORM
Applicants are encouraged to carefully review and follow the instructions associated with this form. All completed DOCUMENTATION of DIRECT PATIENT CARE EXPERIENCE FORMs must be uploaded through CASPA and included with your CASPA application or submitted electronically at
Doctor Of Nursing Practice Program Philosophy
The Doctor of Nursing Practice at Misericordia University is designed to combine theory, practice and inquiry to produce the highest level of mastery in advanced practice nurses to meet the nation and worlds increasingly complex health care needs. Accomplishing this mission requires connecting leadership skills, forward thinking clinical expertise and evidence based practice knowledge to formulate quality health care initiatives for improved health care outcomes in a variety of settings. Graduates will be prepared to make a business case for evidence based practice change. Program outcomes are grounded in the Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice developed by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. .The rigorous expectations of the curriculum of this post-graduate degree program are supported by foundations in population health, quality improvement and organizational system management, leadership, ethics, health care policy, informatics and technology, and utilization of data analysis that informs decision-making. Five hundred post-graduate practice hours provide the student with patient and population focused care opportunities for mastery of the doctor of nursing practice role.
Read Also: Accelerated Nursing Programs In Charlotte Nc
What Are The Admission Requirements
MU typically likes to see students with a history of proven success in the classroom with a minimum high school grade point average of 2.5. Minimum *SAT requirement is typically an 850 , but other factors can be taken into consideration. A number of programs have requirements for direct entry that are higher than university minimums. We advise checking the admission requirements for your program of interest within its designated section of the website. View our list of majors to find your program. *Note: Misericordia will be Test-Optional for Fall 2021 Admissions
Your admissions counselor, or the Admissions Office at or 1-866-262-6363. View our list of Admissions Staff to find your counselor.
Online Affordability Rankings Of Misericordia University
During the most recent year for which we have data, the full-time undergraduate tuition at Misericordia University was $29,840 for both in-state and out-of-state students. The following table shows how Misericordia University is ranked for affordability for both in-state and out-of-state students among colleges and universities that are not mostly online.
Also Check: Education To Become A Registered Nurse
Is Nursing School Hard
Some students may find that nursing school is hard. However, the fact is that nursing school is rigorous because its meant to shape tomorrows health care professionals for a rewarding career in the field. Standards are high, and students will need to be prepared to work hard in order to succeed in earning their degree.
The required hard work for the Misericordia ABSN program is even more rigorous, with 36 months of classroom and hands-on learning compressed down to 16 months. Succeeding and becoming a nurse can be a challenge, but our admissions counselors are here to help you form a plan for success and stay on track to graduate from the program with your degree.
Requirement : Academic Requirements
Overall GPA = 3.2
- Undergraduate Science GPA = 3.2
- Prerequisite Courses = each course will have an individual score, based upon the grade received. All courses, including medical terminology, must have an associated grade. Pass / fail grading will not be accepted. Grades less than a B are not acceptable and will result in an applicant being disqualified for that application cycle. Applicants may repeat prerequisite courses for grade improvement. However, all grades for science courses, whether a course is repeated or taken once, will be included in the calculation for the undergraduate science GPA.
Required Prerequisite Courses are as follows:
Recommended Reading: Accelerated Nursing Programs In Delaware
Misericordia University Introduces Accelerated Nursing Program In Pittsburgh
DALLAS The nationwide nursing shortage is expected to hit critical levels over the next decade cities like Pittsburgh included and to help meet this demand, Misericordia University is expanding its nursing program there.
Misericordia will offer a new accelerated path to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree beginning in August, according to a statement released Monday.
With a new nursing learning center in Pittsburgh, Misericordias Department of Nursing will offer a 16-month Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program, building upon the universitys nearly century-long tradition of graduating nurses.
As the need for nurses continues to rise, its critical we help meet the demand and provide the latest educational advancements required to improve the delivery of health care, said Dr. Brenda L. Hage, assistant dean of nursing and chief nurse administrator at Misericordia. We are confident students will graduate from our ABSN program with the necessary leadership and clinical skills to excel in todays ever-changing health care industry, and on a timeline that allows them to be of service to their communities as soon as possible.
Misericordias ABSN program will offer three start dates annually in January, May, and August and is currently enrolling for its first start date in August 2019. To learn more about the accelerated nursing program, visit absn.misericordia.edu.
Get Comfortable Interacting With Patients
On overcoming challenges, Megan saw the progress she was able to make in getting comfortable. What was most challenging for me was getting comfortable. I can see my progress from my very first day, when I was super nervous to even walk into patients room. Now, I feel comfortable going into a patients room, sitting and talking with them and doing prep using those skills that I learned in skills lab.
Does Misericordia University Require Test Scores
Misericordia University requires that you either take the SAT or ACT. See the table below for how Misericordia Universitys accepted students have performed on both tests. You may be wondering how many test scores should you submit. Generally, dont freak out about taking the test too often. Industry consensus is that you can submit up to 6 tests as a reasonable limit.
Misericordia University Nursing Bachelors Program
Of the 68 nursing students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in 2019-2020 from Misericordia University, about 18% were men and 82% were women.
The majority of bachelor’s degree recipients in this major at Misericordia University are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 82% of students fell into this category.
The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Misericordia University with a bachelor’s in nursing.
Also Check: Msn Family Nurse Practitioner Programs Online
Misericordia Was The Best Fit For Tracie
Tracie R. had broken into a different industry for years, and had found stability with a family before making the choice to change careers and go back to school for nursing. So originally I graduated from Michigan State with a degree in accounting, and I went and worked for large chemical corporations for like 15 years working in different financials, but it was never what I really wanted to do, she says. I thought about going back to nursing several times but then started a family, and didnt really get a chance to go back.
But personal events can create a new perspective, and this was especially true for Tracie. What ultimately drove me to change was the loss of several relatives in a very short period of time, and the dissatisfaction with their care. And what I would do for someone if they were in that situation. So thats really what finally drove me just to go back and start.
On why Misericordia was the right fit for her, she related It fit the best, and I looked at their history and their main campus, and that saw that they had a solid background. Tracie was also impressed by the amenities offered through our ABSN program campus.
I did come to the campus to walk through the campus before it opened and everything, and it was actually pretty amazing all the stuff that they had put together for us.
Misericordia University Bsn Nursing Reviews
June 9, 2017 by GREGORY
- The Misericordia University BS in Nursing Degree provides an education that shares and also embrace the University values of service, justice, mercy and also hospitality. Graduates can enter the workforce as professionals who assume an active and also essential role as an associate of the multidisciplinary health care team in the planning, provision, and also assessment of ethical, safe and humanistic care in a swiftly expanding health care technological system.
- The Baccalaureate in Nursing training program is certified by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education through 2023.
About the school
- Misericordia University is a 4-year, Catholic, co-educational liberal arts institution situated on a 100-acre campus in Dallas, Pennsylvania, close to the cities of Wilkes-Barre and also Scranton within the Diocese of Scranton, United States. It was established by the Religious Sisters of Mercy on August 15, 1924.
- The university offers Bachelors, masters as well as doctoral degrees and also postmasters and post bachelors On August 24, in the year 2007 Misericordia achieved university status. It was known as College Misericordia before August 24, 2007.
Total estimated cost of attendance is approximate $30,770
Following are the minimum requirements for BSN Nursing Program. Minimum admission standards include:
Admission into traditional undergraduate nursing requires:
Recommended Reading: Azusa Pacific University Nursing Requirements
Work Together With Classmates And Know When To Ask For Help
Dominique found that keeping a level head and working with others, just like shell be doing in her career, was something that labs helped her practice.
Its putting you in that high stress environment and having to work together as a team, because you are with a partner in there. You have to learn how to control your emotions, but also work with somebody else and then understand its OK to ask for help. For example, we had the option to ask for a charge nurse if something wasnt working or if we didnt know what to do. Thats how it is in the real world. You know youre not always alone. Youre able to ask for help.
Speak Up And Take Initiative
As Dominique says, I was quieter in the beginning because I was just trying to perfect everything and make sure I got that blood pressure right. I knew my nurse was going to come in and check it As far as my last semester, I was really hands-on and I would just take the initiative and do things.
The first day of clinicals I was definitely very nervous because I never worked in a hospital or had a lot of patient interaction, Megan says. I was also very excited though. For that first day being in hospital, Im looking back, I can see my growth and progress throughout the program. And there are a lot of times I doubted myself, but I think through my passion and perseverance, it outshone the doubt that I had.
Read Also: Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner School Years
Mission/vision Of The Nursing Department
In preparing Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral prepared educated nurses, the Nursing Department of the College of Health Sciences shares the mission of Misericordia University and embraces the values and attitudes of justice, mercy, service and hospitality. Specifically, the values and beliefs of nursing as a humanistic service continuing to embody the role of the professional nurse as a future leader. The nurse as a leader utilizes evidence-based decision making while adapting to change in a multicultural society. The professional nurse is envisioned as one who assumes an active and vital role as a member of the multidisciplinary health care team in the planning, provision, and evaluation of ethical, safe and humanistic care in a rapidly expanding health care technological system.
Choosing The Right Accelerated Nursing Program
Before you can begin in Misericordias online-based accelerated nursing program, youd be wise to consider the following to determine if an ABSN program is right for you and your unique situation:
- Its truly accelerated. Because our curriculum compresses a traditional four-year nursing school curriculum into a 16-month timeframe, it moves fast. That means its crucial you dont fall behind or procrastinate on studying.
- You have to stay organized. The convenience and flexibility of online learning is great. As long as you stay on top of your coursework and meet assigned due dates, it doesnt matter if you complete it right when you wake up or just before going to bed. That said, to be successful with that kind of academic autonomy, youll have to remain self-disciplined and organized.
- Its a major commitment. The time commitment and self-discipline involved in a rigorous 16-month online-based accelerated nursing program means youll have to make sacrifices with your personal time. If youre serious about enrolling in an accelerated program, its a good idea to have a personal support and accountability system in place so you can stay focused on your schoolwork.
- Were here to support you every step of the way! While accelerated nursing school may seem intimidating at times, from your first contact with our admissions team all the way through graduation were here for you and want to see you succeed!
Also Check: Suing A Nursing Home For Wrongful Death