Career Opportunities For Second Degree Bsn
After completing the second degree BSN nursing program, you will be eligible to take the State Board Examination in Nursing and be prepared to practice as a generalist in a variety of health care settings. Second degree BSN graduates are prepared to practice as generalists in a variety of health care settings, in entry-level nursing positions and nurse residency programs.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs for registered nurses will grow 7% from 2019 to 2029 due to an increased emphasis on preventive care increasing rates of chronic conditions, such as diabetes and obesity and demand for health care services from baby boomers.
Is The Application Process The Same For An Accelerated Nursing Program
The application processes for traditional and accelerated nursing programs share similarities, although accelerated programs are generally stricter. Many accelerated programs require prospective students to submit previous academic transcripts, include a goal statement, complete prerequisite coursework, and go through a thorough application process.
Are There Msn Programs Without A Bsn Prerequisite
There are many schools and institutional programs that offer a Diploma RN or Associate Degree Nurse to Master’s Degree in Nursing degree directly, without adding additional courses for the Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing . One could also look specifically for the program term of RN to MSN.
Many schools offer programs where the nurse receives a congruent BSN along with the MSN by the end of the program. These programs are ideal for the nurse who completed an ADN program, obtained a bachelor’s degree in a field other than nursing, but would like to complete an MSN degree.
to view a breakdown of RN to MSN programs by state.
Students should always assure that the intended school offering a direct ADN to MSN program is accredited by at least one of the national nursing school accreditation bodies. Attending institutions that have been accredited allows students to apply for federal student loans and state entitlement programs. The accreditation process for schools is also a guarantee of professional and academic standards. Graduates from accredited programs are most likely to qualify to attend other accredited schools for advancing degrees. Most employers prefer, if not require, nurses to have received their degree from accredited programs.
Read Also: How To Become A Nurse Practitioner With A Bsn
Rn To Bsn: Frequently Asked Questions
- How long is the program?This varies among students and is based on prior coursework, and the ability to complete the program on a part time or full time basis. Once pre-requisite courses are complete, the core nursing coursework can be completed in three semesters . Keep in mind, everyone must complete 120 credits to earn a BSN.
- Can I manage work and this program?This program was developed with the working nurse in mind. Most of our students work full-time and have the ability to balance work, school and family responsibilities.
- Is your program online?Yes, this RN-BSN program is 100% online. Some courses require online check-ins with faculty and peers when working on group assignments.
- What credits transfer?Most nursing program coursework and general education requirements will transfer. The registrar will review and determine transfer equivalencies. Additionally, West Chester does not charge for transfer credits. To determine if courses taken at another college are considered equivalent to WCU courses, please visit the Registrar’s Office using this link: Self-Service Check for Course Equivalencies to determine if courses taken at another college are considered equivalent to WCU courses. If you find equivalent courses, you may apply to have the credits transferred to WCU.
- Does WCU accept Excelsior/Correspondence Nursing credits?NO, WCU does not accept these nursing credits.
La Salle University Philadelphia Pa
At the La Salle University School of Nursing, students engage in hands on programs and academic programs to go from RN to BSN or earn their MSN or DNP degrees. Students begin with foundational programs and then are able to move into other areas of specialization. Faculty members are known globally for their research expertise and commitment to academic excellence. At the BSN level, students have the option to participate in accelerated programs or a hybrid that combines evening and weekend classes. Certificate programs are available at the masters level for nurses who want to advance their career through additional specializations without the degree program. Also, the school offers a DNP for those looking for a Post BSN Nurse Anesthesia Program. Those wanting a school for nursing in Philadelphia should consider the advanced options at La Salle University.
La Salle University is a well known and respected institution. These rankings are a result of the respected faculty and the schools commitment to academic excellence and provision of hands on experience in clinical settings. As a private university, La Salle faculty remains committed to teaching and learning experiences that cultivate lifelong learning in students. The faith based universitys curriculum is driven by faith and zeal. This is represented by the involvement of students in service to the community.
Degrees: RN to BSN, MSN, DNPAccreditation: CCNE
You May Like: Nursing Homes In Cecil County Md
Accelerated Bachelor Of Science In Nursing Overview
The demand for registered nurses is on the rise, meaning theres never been a better time to pursue your Bachelor of Science in Nursing through Misericordia Universitys accelerated nursing program, located at our ABSN program site in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
If you already have at least 60 non-nursing college credits, our accelerated BSN program can fast-track your nursing career through a rigorous blend of online and onsite instruction. Its a great option for non-nursing students desiring a transition into the profession that can be completed in as few as 16 months.
If You Have Already Attended Some College
We will be happy to evaluate your prior college courses to the number of credits you may be able to transfer toward yourDeSales’ program.
- DeSales accepts up to 75 credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities.
- All transferred credits must be applicable to some curriculum offered at DeSales University.
- You must complete at least 15 three-credit courses at DeSales University to earn a degree from DSU.
- Only credit is transferred, your grades for transfer courses are not calculated into the your GPA at DSU.
Don’t Miss: Nursing Homes In Schaumburg Illinois
Health & Technology Training Institute
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The Health & Technology Training Institute Practical Nursing Program is an accelerated course of study especially designed for working adults. The program can be completed part-time on evenings and weekends over a period of 22 months. The HTTI is a private, licensed school offering credentialed healthcare occupational training. The training program is approved by the State Board of Private Licensed Schools under the auspices of the Pennsylvania Department of Education and is operated by the District 1199C Training Fund. They pride themselves on their 100% program completion rate with a no man left behind philosophy.
Entrance Requirements For A Pennsylvania Accelerated Nursing Program
- Bachelors degree: You need to have your bachelors degree to be eligible for accelerated nursing programs, but it can be in any subject!
- GPA: You do not need to take a test for eligibility but most schools will require that you have a minimum GPA of 3.0. These can vary by school so check before applying!
- Complete pre-requisites: While your bachelors degree can be in anything, you may need to complete certain courses before you can apply to an accelerated nursing program. Usually these will be science courses such as biology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, and more.
- Letters of recommendation: Like any application you need letters of recommendation. Make sure to reach out ahead of time to the people you want to write your letters so that you are not scrambling at the last minute.
- Submit applications: You should look over the applications in advance so you know how much time you will need to complete them. In addition to demographics and basic questions, you may have essays to write. You will also need to collect past transcripts, submit and updated resume, and possibly additional paperwork.
- Interview: Most schools will not require an interview but it always helps to check!
Recommended Reading: Online Nursing Programs In Nevada
University Of Wyoming Brand
The BRAND program is an acronym for Bachelors Reach for Accelerated Nursing Degree, and a component of the Fay W. Whitney School of Nursing, in collaboration with the University of Wyoming Outreach School. This hybrid BSN program was designed to be both a distance school and an Online Accelerated nursing program, with the intention of allowing Wyomings rural and isolated communities to grow their own nurses. A teaching methodology like this enables students to develop understandings of the communities they will be serving, rather than training students in Laramie, and sending them to work in communities with very different needs.
BRANDs program runs summer-to-summer, 15 months total, including regular online classes, and a hybrid of distance and in-person instruction and clinical work. The first summer of coursework mostly takes place on campus in Laramie. Housing can be arranged through campus dorm services, however, many students choose to commute. On-campus classes are generally 4-5 days per week, every other week for the first summer. Following the summer in-person coursework, the majority of instruction is delivered online with technology that allows for face-to-face interaction with faculty. It is critical that those who apply for this program are disciplined and independent, as BRAND is both academically rigorous and equally rewarding.
More Bsn Degree Options To Fit Your Life
If you cannot commit to full-time accelerated nursing programs, or don’t meet the prior education requirements for a second bachelor’s, the School offers a Weekend BSN program and a four-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program on our Main Campus in Gwynedd Valley, PA. The Weekend BSN program option, which can be completed in just three years, is another second-degree nursing program available to students with a bachelor’s degree in another field who want to transition to a career in nursing. The four-year undergraduate BSN program is for aspiring nurses who do not already have a bachelor’s degree in another field.
A Nursing Educational Community 60 Years in the Making
Gwynedd Mercy University has been a leading nursing school for more than 60 years. The community of nursing experts, scholars, and regional health care leaders we have developednot to mention our thousands of nursing alumniis an invaluable resource for your professional development and personal enrichment. It’s why the Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions has been a leader in accelerated nursing programs in PA for years.
Our nursing faculty members bring clinical expertise and a passion for the nursing profession to the classroom. In our small classes, they will become your partners and mentors as you bring your future into focus.
Don’t Miss: Forensic Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Programs
Prepared For The Pace Of The Icu
Chelsey Nehila, BSN, RNCardiac Care Unit/Cardiac ICU, Childrens Hospital of PhiladelphiaBS, Biology BA, Media & Communication StudiesWhile the track was fast-paced, rigorous, and required an exceptional amount of hard work and commitment, the structure of the BSNExpress, the hands-on simulation, clinical experiences, and the supportive faculty allowed me to gain the necessary nursing skills, knowledge, confidence, and patient-first attitude to be a successful nurse. I am proud to be a Villanova graduate.
Best Nursing Schools In Philadelphia In 2020
Looking for a nursing program in Pennsylvania? Youre in luck. Philadelphia is home to some of Americas richest history and is now one of the largest cities in the country. Not only is Philly home to the Liberty Bell it is also home to some of the best nursing programs in the country. Why choose from one of the many nursing schools in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania? Because graduates enjoy faster job placement and higher earnings than many other locations due to the large population. There are many options such as BSN or Registered Nurse schools in Philadelphia.
Browse through the many colleges and universities that offer top-ranked programs in the nursing field. There has never been a greater time to join the healthcare industry as a nurse. Whether youre looking for a BSN program in PA or another type of nursing program, youll be sure to find an option here.
You May Like: Pembroke Nursing Home West Chester Pa
Benefits Of An Accelerated Program
Accelerated nursing programs offer a number of benefits to students, which include:
- Shifting career goals and attention toward nursing
- Completing your education in a shorter time frame
- A growing job demand for nurses
- Programs that do not require previous health care experience
Additionally, for some students, the benefit of a nursing career is the ability to grow in a rewarding field they are passionate about.
Support Advanced Practice Nursing
The appeal of graduate nursing programs might extend to nurses who want to pursue advanced practice roles and to non-nurses who hold degrees in other disciplines. While the entry-level education for advanced practice registered nurses is the masters degree, this might be in the process of shifting. In 2004, the American Association of Colleges of Nursing called for a change. They proposed that the current level of preparation necessary for advanced nursing practice move from the masters degree to the doctorate-level by the year 2015.The AACN’s position statement calls for APRNs and other nurses seeking leadership/organizational roles to be educated in DNP programs.
MS in Nursing Programs: Professional Insight
Obtaining my MSN enhanced my career beyond anything I could have imagined. The knowledge and skills I gained in my clinical experiences and courses gave me everything I needed to provide primary care to patients in my community in a way that I couldn’t as an RN. Beyond this, it positioned me to become a leader in healthcare and make an enduring impact through legislative change and advocacy.
Don’t Miss: Can You Be A Nicu Nurse With An Associate’s Degree
Career Options For Graduates Of A Second Degree Nursing Program
Earning your BSN as a second degree will help you achieve a career in the demanding field of nursing. Today’s employers increasingly prefer to hire nurses who hold a BSN degree. Nurses who earn a second degree in nursing often offer additional marketable skills that can equip them for future roles in nursing management, education and other areas – even medical journalism or legal consulting.
Most new BSN graduates will need to gain clinical nursing experience before specializing or moving to advanced nursing role The first step in achieving your goals is to obtain your BSN degree.
Can I Get An Accelerated Nursing Degree In Philadelphia
In the city of Philadelphia, several colleges and universities that offer an accelerated nursing degree option for students. The University of Pennsylvania offers an accelerated plan that expedites their nursing career by finishing sooner. For instance, the BSN degree at UOP can be completed within eighteen months on the accelerated degree plan, and students can choose from fourteen masters specialties.
Another school that offers an accelerated degree plan is Thomas Jefferson University. The Jefferson accelerated nursing program is available in MSN, DNP, and PhD. Options in several concentrations. Jefferson University provides students in courses of Informatics and Research in Advanced Practice Nursing, Health promotion across the lifespan, and Clinical Reasoning.
Another school to consider for accelerated nursing programs in PA is Drexel University. As mentioned before, Drexel University provides many opportunities for students entering the nursing field. One degree that stands out against the odds is the Duel Accelerated RN-BSN-MSN program. No matter which school of choice in Philadelphia students decide to enroll in, taking an accelerated program will allow the graduate to finish in half the time of the traditional track.
Also Check: Utica College School Of Nursing
How Our Absn Program Works
Our accelerated nursing program in Pittsburgh, PA allows you to build upon your existing education so you can get to your ultimate goal of becoming a nurse sooner.
We make that possible with our full-time online-based ABSN program. It comprises three parts and requires a large amount of time and energy to stay on track:
- Online courses teach you the foundations of essential nursing theory concepts.
- Hands-on skills and simulation labs teach you how to apply patient care skills in a controlled, risk-free environment.
- On-site clinicals allow you to experience diverse patient care scenarios in real-world environments.
Upon graduating from our online-based accelerated nursing program, youll have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to take the NCLEX-RN® licensure exam and enter the workforce as a practice-ready nurse.
Contact us to learn more about our accelerated nursing program in Pittsburgh.
What Will I Study In My Pennsylvania Accelerated Nursing Program
Curricula will vary a little but they are all designed to prepare you to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam. Most schools will have course lists available online of what you will take during your program. In general you can expect to take courses similar to the following curriculum offered by Gwynedd Mercy University:
- Introduction to Professional Nursing
- Fundamentals of Nursing Practice
- Health Assessment in Nursing
- Nursing Medication Mathematics
- Nursing Care of Adults
- Contemporary Issues in Professional Nursing
- Nursing Care of Clients with Alterations in Behavioral Health
- Nursing Care of Women, Children, and Families
- Nursing Care of Adults with Complex Health Care Problems
- Patho/Pharm Integrated Concepts
- The Older Adult
- Genomics in Nursing
- Synthesis of Learning for Nursing Practice
- Health and Illness in the Community
- Global Health and Health Policy
- Research/Evidence Based Practice
- RS 231 Bioethics
- Leadership and Management in Professional Nursing Capstone
- 414: Complementary and Integrative Healthcare
- Selective Health Problems of Women and Children
Recommended Reading: Second Degree Bachelor’s Programs For Non Nursing Students